Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Why I Flyfish




I have to admit that my wife kicked me out of the house last week...at least for a few hours.  She could tell I was stressed out and that my usual running routine was not doing enough to release all my stress.  I called my buddy and we headed to one of the local rivers in Eastern Idaho (did you really think I was going to reveal my honey hole?).  No one was around, the water was gurgling beneath me and I was casting my fly rising trout.

Based on reports from other flyfisherman, stoneflies were the way to go.  I tied on a nice brown beadhead under a strike indicator and headed to a seam in the current where I had caught some nice fish last year.  On the second cast my rod bent and brilliant flash of shiny scales broke the surface.  It was a beautiful brown trout and very large.  He was only on the line for a few seconds, but what a start to an evening!  We didn't catch much that evening.  My friend caught a little 9 inch brown and I tied into another large brown.  I had him on the line for quite a while and could see that he easily hit the 5 lb range.  Rather than force him into a landing, we stared at each other through the water and I dropped the tension.  And then he was gone.

That was a night when it was less about what I caught and more about finding peace.  The cool breeze tinged with rain carried all my stress away.  My drive back to Idaho Falls was filled with dreams and aspirations about how well I would do this fall in my favorite spots.  For that night, it was enough to be on the water.  As I was leaving the river, a little trout jumped to gobble up the few flies that were beginning to appear.  Yep, there is nothing better.

No comments:

Post a Comment